Tuesday 2 March 2010

Current Music Projects

Using the new MAESTRO-2 computer, I have begun to set up templates. The gig last week showed that the combination of Sonar 8.5 and Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 are well capable of multi-track recordings - the system did cope quite well with the 250 tracks. What I have not yet tested is the simultaneous playing of several tracks.

I do have a whole shelf full of music scores which I bought in the past 15 years, with the goal of "electronify-ing / midify-ing" them. But since many of my previous recordings are quite inadequate, considering what is now possible with MAESTRO-2, I have decided to re-work each of my old recordings and re-release them. I have already begun with the very first orchestral piece which I midified back in 1995: the first movement of Alexander Borodin's "Polovtsian Dances". This is managable, not a very long piece, I should be able to do this within one week of evening work.

However, I realised that now in 2010-2011 is Gustav-Mahler year: his 150th birthday on 7.July 2010, and the 100th anniversary of his death, on 18.May 2011. Since I consider his music to be among the best ever written, I would like to pay a tribute to these anniversaries. In my repertoire I have 3 renditions of his orchestral works: Symphony #1, 3rd movement; Symphony #4, 3rd movement; and Sympnony #5, Adagietto. I have decided to re-work the 3rd movement of the Symphony #1 and have started on this the past weekend. Is quite a challenge, many tracks, independent instruments, orchestral sound effects. But this is a wonderful piece, and I hope my rendition will do this composition justice.

I plan to use for the first time a rendition in 5.1. Have never done this, although the previous Sonar 4 version did already have surround buses. I imagine that putting the orchestral instrumentation in a true 3D space would provide an exciting more immersive listening experience. This will require some experimentation... I will have to use my consumer grade Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder for monitoring the mix.

So the plan is to have something ready from the Gustav Mahler oevre by the 7. July 2010, and if possible in 5.1 surround sound. I will keep you updated on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment