Friday 29 May 2009

Trying out DittoMusic

It appears that the Dittomusic website is not as robust as the one at TuneCore: I get often a 404 - page does not exist, or just an empty image placeholder, with no text instructions on what to do... might be firewall and proxy, I have to try later from a different location.

It seems that DittoMusic is a bit less flexible than TuneCore: DittoMusic has a higher upfront cost, with setting up a label, a chartered release, and a few options for release options. I have not yet understood what a "release" actually means: it is indicated that a release can contain unlimited tracks... but what would then be the point of having several releases? Is a release the same as an album? The Dittomusic website is not very clear on this... the cost could go into £100, if I would choose the "Premium Unlimited Distribution" which has many 100 of "stores" and also mobile phone outlets. An additional £2 per month is required to keep the royalties coming in.

Yes, a release appears to be something like an album, I just checked. Unlimited tracks per release is fine, but it means that I have to have everything ready by a certain date... but I work more gradually, with single pieces. And then the fees would be to high, if I would choose to release just a single track as a release. So I guess I will stick with TuneCore for now, releasing one track after another. Maybe I will give DittoMusic another try some time later, when I have a whole "release" ready, something like a whole symphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment