Thursday 6 May 2010

Music on Wikipedia

Wikipedia does have a lot of information about composers and music. But there are only very few music files. One reason is that they only accept that strange OGG file format. The other reason may be copyright issues: one cannot just upload a recording ripped from a CD, as the performers do have the copyright; and the performers themselves probably have no idea how to upload files to Wikipedia and edit entries there.

Here is where I see a good opportunity to get some of my music recordings out in the world: ok, once they are on Wikipedia, they are no longer under my control and are basically available for free. But that is fine - I also give them away on my VPO site for free anyway. Through having my music on Wikipedia people would get to know my style, and may later actually buy something.

Sonar does not export OGG files, but I could take the wave file and process it with Audacity.

So far I have uploaded two files and linked them to the appropriate Wikipedia entries:
From Dvorak the 2nd movement from his 9th Symphony,
and from Mahler the Adagietto

No comments:

Post a Comment