Thursday 6 May 2010

New Rendition: Mahler's Adagietto

In summer 2000 I completed an MP3 file recording of Gustav Mahler's Adagietto (4th movement from his 5th Symphony). And last week I began taking the Cakewalk sequence for this file and rework it for the Garritan Personal Orchestra 4. The score is only 5 pages long, there are only strings and a harp, so in principle this is quite an easy piece. However, since it is slow, with long lasting notes, it needs a lot of attention to detail, otherwise the recording would sound quite boring, playing back long loops os samples. In the release of July 2000, I had mixed several layers: MU-80 strings as the foundation, then a few soundfonts on top, also a few solo strings; separating fast notes and slow notes into different tracks.

Now with GPO4, I also did some layering: added for each string track a "lush strings" from the section strings. I also added a few solo strings in the lower registers (bass, cello), but did not yet do this for viola and the violins.

Yesterday I uploaded the first version, today I uploaded a slight revision. The music is here on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment