Tuesday 15 June 2010

Mahler: First Movement of Symph1 now Online!

After a few slight revisions regarding tempo and instrumental balance I have now released the first movement of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No.1. The overall site of the First Symphony shows some background information about the symphony and has access to the newest audio files. All recorded versions of the first movement are available on a dedicated page to the first movement. I chose to refer to this movement as "Spring and No End", according to the original program notes of the first performances, which were later discarded.

It took me now a bit more than 2 weeks to create this rendition of the movement - this is a new personal record. A few years ago, a comparable music recording would take me about three months to create. One accelerating factor is the use of the mod wheel as input for expression changes: I now am doing this as a live recording instead of manually drawing the expression curves.

The Symphony No.1 is now to 3/4 completed - but the 4th movement is the most difficult one. Not sure if I can complete it in time for Mahler's 150th birthday on 7.July...

One editing note: I realised that I had made a mistake on the Symphony description: Marion von Weber was the wife of the grandson of Carl Maria von Weber, not the wife of the composer himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment