Wednesday 26 January 2011

100 Years "Rosenkavalier"

Today 100 years ago the opera "Der Rosenkavalier" by Richard Strauss had its premiere. To celebrate this occasion I am re-releasing a recording that I created in July 2000, together with tenor George Everett Swails. Interesting about this recording was the production process: I prepared a MIDI piano transcription which I emailed to George. He then took this transcription, modified some of the tempi, and then sang to it. He mailed me back the audio recording of his voice, and I built the orchestration around this recording. This was one of the first recordings of the "Virtual Opera Company" that we founded around that time.

The result can be heard on this MP3 file: www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk/music/StraussR_RosenkavalierArieDesTenor_000712.mp3

It is also avaliable on iTunes, if you feel that this is worth spending some money.

The orchestration relies mostly on the sounds of the Yamaha MU-80 synthesizer which I was using at that time. I also incorporated a few additional string sound fonts on the Soundblaster AWE46 card, but I do not recall which sounds these were.

No comments:

Post a Comment